Thursday, May 14, 2009

Carrot Halwa

Here is something new! Quite possibly the most amazing dessert I have come across. Easily my #1 sweet dish - Carrot Halwa. Now, for many years I have had several people - many Godmothers and other angels - make this wonderful dish for me. Now that I am in a place in life where I can attempt, albeit with extreme care, some new stuff on my own, I decided to try my hand at making this dish. Although I am quite sure comparing my version with that of the other professionals like my mother would be nothing less than a sin, I still make the humble effort to share what I did here. I hope you find it appealing.



Ingredients
1 and a 1/2 cup grated carrots
2 tbsp cashew
2 tbsp raisins (or kishmish)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon powder
a few strands of saffron (or kesar)
sugar to taste
ghee as required (or melted unsalted butter)


Method
1. Roast the cashew and raisins in 1 spoon ghee and keep it aside.
2. Now boil the milk on medium heat so that it is half of its original quantity with strands of saffron. Keep this aside too.
3. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a nonstick pan and add the grated carrots to it. Stir fry this for about 10-15 minutes until the raw smell of carrots has disappeared. Make sure you stir this often so as to avoid carrots from being burnt.
4. Once well done, add the evaporated milk slowly. Let this simmer until the milk has disappeared.
5. Now add the cinnamon powder and mix well. Let this simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Next add the roasted cashew and raisins with sugar. Mix well and switch off the heat.

That's it! Try this with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream! It is the best indeed! :-)

Enjoy!

..ShaKri..

No comments:

Post a Comment