Saturday, April 4, 2009

Aloo Karela vegetable

Those of you who know me will know that I am a HUGE fan of karela (hAgalakAyi). In fact legend has it that I used to eat it raw when I was a kid! That said, there have been very few instances where I have tried to experiment with this divine vegetable in something other than the traditional gojju. Given my colorful palatte for various flavors, I decided to make another equally yummy dish by combining it with potato this time. The result was - to say the least -awesome. I think I suddenly like this dish better than gojju! I intend to try the Bengali dish shukto next. I shall let you know if it comes out well. ;) For now, please enjoy Aloo Karela.


Ingredients

1. Karela (Bitter Gourd) - 3-4 pieces chopped well.
2. Potato - 1-2 chopped into small pieces.
3. Onion - 1
4. Green Chillies - 3-4
5. Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Coriander Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
8. Sugar (as per resistance to bitterness)
9. Oil
10. Salt to taste



Method
1. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan.
2. Once the oil is hot put the onions, green chillies, karela and potato to the pan.
3. Mix well, cover and cook on low flame until karela turns light brown.
4. Once the vegetables are well cooked add the masala powders and mix well.
5. Now add the sugar and mix well. The sweetness part of it is optional and based on your taste level.
6. Cook for a few more minutes and add salt to taste.

That's it! You can now enjoy the vegetable with chapatis or rice. A great side dish for any day! :)


Cheers,

ShaKri

No comments:

Post a Comment